Sunday 26 November 2017

Can a vegan keep bees?

I found this article while researching for a project on veganism. I think it's important to know where your favourite products are coming from, especially if there is a risk of animal abuse/exploitation. It is possible to enjoy what animals produce, including honey, eggs and milk, knowing that the animals were treated with respect throughout the process.

Stay calm, be aware, and shop locally!

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/01/beekeeping-and-the-ethical-vegan-will-curley/




3 comments:

  1. I've worked at 2 vegan restaurants, and there's always a lot of crossover with "health and wellness" types. At one place in particular a lot of people would get mad at us for using agave syrup because "it's basically high-fructose corn syrup", and would ask why we don't use honey.

    I would have to sheepishly reply with, "honey is an animal product..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bees are important to the global eco-system so if keeping bees can help support them, I'm all for it. They're not just at risk from pesticides, but also a parasite that's all across the country and basically turns them into zombies until they die. The only place immune thus far are a few isolated colonies on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article Olivia! I wasn't aware of this issue until a few years ago when I attempted to eat a vegan diet. After joining a vegan group, I realized quickly that going vegan was not only a change in diet, but it was also a moral obligation to our dear animals. This carried over into the clothing, sweetener, food and the expectation to advocate to others about veganism.

    I would agree with this article, that local beekeeping is more ethical than commercial honey production. I certainly notice an increase in fruit production on our fruit trees now that our neighbors have honey bees. I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

    ReplyDelete