Thursday 12 October 2017

Response: Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?


In her TED talk “Connected, but alone?” Sherry Turkle offers an interesting suggestion that homes and work places should “reclaim” areas for real-time conversation. In an effort to challenge the ever-growing familiarity of being constantly connected online, I think it would be a wonderful initiative to commit certain rooms or spaces to an un-plugged policy. In our culture it is perfectly acceptable in most situations to hide from the people around you via digital technology (I’m talking to you, fellow bus riders), and I would love to see a shift in the way people communicate in the moment.

4 comments:

  1. I agree whole heartedly that face-to-face commutation is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia, I like how your response focused on the specific position of Turkle's argument of encouraging people to "reclaim" areas for real-time conversation. More specifically, time spent with family, the dinner table etc. It's important to establish an open and supportive environment to strengthen family relationships. In addition, I will have to start riding the bus without my earbuds in... never know who you might meet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a specific initiative i'd be very interested to see take root as more than just a theory. I think there may be something to it if we were able to make it happen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with this, I find that it’s way too easy for families to find themselves disconnected from each other if there are no boundaries (dinner table, etc.). Sometimes the hardest rules are ones you have to make for yourself I guess.

    ReplyDelete